Summer is the best time to focus on getting healthy and fit. Looking good on South Beach is not the only reason! The following will help get you motivated to improve your health and fitness:
- Good weather: No matter where you are located, summer has warmer temperatures and better weather conditions. This creates a motivating environment for outdoor activities such as swimming, cycling, hiking, or simply taking a walk. Being outside in nature can boost your mood and motivation to stay active.
- Longer daylight hours: Longer days mean more opportunities to engage in physical activities and exercise outdoors. The increased sunlight exposure also helps regulate our circadian rhythms, which can positively impact sleep patterns and overall well-being.
- Vacation time: Many people take vacations during the summer months and kids are home from school. This break from work or school can provide an opportunity to relax, unwind, and focus on staying fit and improving your health. You can use this time to establish healthy habits, such as getting sufficient sleep, practicing stress-reducing activities, and prioritizing your overall well-being.
- Community and social events: Summer often brings people together for various outdoor events and activities. Engaging in group exercises, team sports, or community wellness programs can provide a sense of camaraderie and social support, which can be beneficial for maintaining motivation and accountability in your health goals.
- Hydration, hydration, hydration: With hotter temperatures, it’s crucial to stay properly hydrated. Drinking an adequate amount of water helps maintain bodily functions, regulate body temperature, and supports digestion. The warmer weather can act as a reminder to drink more fluids and stay hydrated, which is a key factor to your well-being.
- Vitamin D: Sunlight is a primary source of vitamin D, which plays a crucial role in bone health, immune function, and overall well-being. During summer, the longer days and increased sunlight exposure allow your body to produce more vitamin D. Regular outdoor activities in the sun can help you maintain optimal vitamin D levels.
- Fresh Produce: Summer is a prime season for a wide variety of fresh fruits and vegetables. Farmers’ markets and grocery stores offer an array of colorful, nutrient-rich options that can make it easier to adopt a healthier diet. Consuming seasonal produce can provide essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to support your overall health. Try a new fruit or vegetable every month over the summer.
- Increased energy: Warmer temperatures and extended daylight hours can boost your energy levels and overall mood. This can make it easier to engage in physical activities and maintain a consistent exercise routine. It is easy to stay naturally more motivated and energetic during summer, which can support your fitness goals.
- Calorie-burning: Many summer activities involve physical exertion, leading to increased calorie burn. Whether it’s swimming, beach volleyball, hiking, even gardening or taking a walk, these activities can help you burn calories while having fun and sweating it out can help burn calories quicker.
Summer is the best time to create a positive foundation to be fit and healthy. Then you might find it is easier the rest of the year to maintain your active lifestyle and learn to prioritize your long-term health goals regardless of the season. Our integrative health clinic in Miami focuses on a holistic approach to health and wellness. Don’t piecemeal your healthcare, and don’t trust your health to a JV team. Contact our office to schedule your initial consultation if you’re ready to get healthy this summer! Habla Español.